Banana Splits is a school-based group program for students who have experienced parental divorce or separation.
The purposes are:
- to provide a safe place to express feelings
- to normalize feelings through sharing
- to train children in problem solving and coping skills
- to increase self esteem through mutual help
- to support parents and school staff in working with Splits kids
- to increase communication among children, parents, and school
Activities teach children of divorced or separated parents how to help themselves and each other. By creating a supportive community, Banana Splits aims to counteract the day to day impact of divorce and separation on teenagers and young children.
– Adapted from www.bananasplitsresourcecenter.com (Dr. Valerie Raymond)